10 February 2013

On the Non-Aggression Principle

Technically, I was attacked this evening.

Most people wouldn't say I was attacked. They would say that an certain someone in my dorm (whom has not been referenced in previous posts) gave me a surprise bear hug.

But  I was not warned, my consent was not asked, and I would not have given it. Technically, it was an act of aggression against my person. I reacted accordingly, and now the individual is question is acting all hurt and angry.

Irrationality is unalive and kicking.

The non-aggression principle, the fundamental law of human interaction, is unheard of in our society. Humans do not initiate the use of force against others in a civilized setting. Conversely, if one does initiate the use of force, they must be free to retaliate as necessary to prevent future attacks.

No one understands this. Self-defense is all but illegal in the United States, and soon will be entirely absent in the Western World. It's socially tolerable to invade the personal space of another individual for no reason (and I believe I have made it sufficiently clear that I do not want to be touched). Before too long, I wouldn't be surprised if assault is the preferred method of settling conflicts.

Our culture is irrational. If we're going to survive, we're going to have to change it. Will you?