31 March 2017

March Links

Siderea writes about social class in America. David Friedman discusses assortative mating. On a related note, Putanumonit wants you to make your relationship choices using math. I want you to save the world using math.

Sarah Constantin warns us of the peril of the sublime.

Some theory of consciousness stuff, for the people who are into that sort of thing.

I haven't read this link but I'm putting it in here so I'll read it when I'm bored someday.

Katja Grace on threat erosion.

A lot of people have been rediscovering their abstract hatred for The Bell Curve lately, so Quillette decided to address the fact that most people haven't read it and hate it for expressing milquetoast opinions supported by the body of evidence. Meanwhile, Simon Penner discusses religiosity in politics. Also consider: safety nets protected by moats.

Ribbonfarm: the limits of epistemic hygiene.

Scott Alexander reviews Seeing Like A State. Big take-away: I pretty much already see like a state and have trouble imagining not seeing that way. So does that mean nerds are a systematized-era invention?

UK triggers Article 50.

SpaceX successfully launches and lands Falcon 9 using the first stage that launched CRS 8 last April. By my count, that's two correct, one incorrect in the last week for my 2017 predictions.