16 June 2019

Father's Day

Father's Day is proving much less over-bearing that Mother's Day did, though in part that's because Dad wanted to go see a movie today instead of book group (which isn't this week), and my presence was not required for that. We're going out to eat this evening and that will probably be a bit tiring. Consequently, I'm writing this now instead of later so I can get ready for bed immediately after we get back.

I was hoping to get a few things done this morning, but unexpectedly I suffered a severe bout of insomnia last night. I have some hypotheses but I'm not really sure why. Regardless, today was not a particularly productive day; tomorrow needs to be better.

The last few weeks, I've been thinking about intentionality and how to implement changes in one's life (prompted by material we've been discussing in the local rationalist group). More recently, I've also been thinking about the goals and ideas that I had at various points in my past and wanting to take steps towards achieving a healthier mindset. Among other things, I've decided to completely give up my fiction writing for the foreseeable future so that I can focus entirely on my technical projects and independent research.

Oh, I should mention that I'm about to finished Rocket Propulsion Elements and will be advancing to spacecraft design texts in the very near future. My reading progress as a whole has been quite satisfying as of late.