07 April 2019

April Week 1

Am I doing quarterly objectives? I still haven't decided. Nevertheless, weekly reviews continue.

My Q1 review was how I started my week. Because it's also April, I published a post for Amazing Breakthrough Day on my real blog the same day. That did surprisingly well (by my standards) and makes me want to keep writing for more hits. I haven't felt that motivation in awhile.

The good news is that I came up with a good idea for a short post on Saturday. That day I went with my old Scout Troop to volunteer at a church soup kitchen—except we make sloppy joes, not soup. According to the recipe notes, this is the 15th consecutive year the Troop has done this. I was pretty tired when I got home but my renewed social calendar meant heading out again.

Despite all that, I managed to finish reading Spacecraft Propulsion by Charles D. Brown, which is one of the technical books on my formal reading list. I'll probably work some of the exercises next week, but I make no commitments. Brown is better about writing textbook problems than many authors, but this book primarily uses English units of all god-forsaken things so it remains to be seen whether my resolve will be sufficient. In either case, the next book on my list (Space Vehicle Design by Griffin and French) doesn't have exercises, so there isn't a clear conflict there.

Tomorrow night, I'll be getting re-certified for CPR, which is neat. In other re-learning news, I've got some programming ideas bouncing around my head, but my MATLAB subscription expired, so I need to choose another language. Right now I'm decided between C and vPython, so I'll hopefully get one or both of those set up this week.

There's also some internal affairs stuff I need to work on, like job applications and the like, but that's not particularly worth enumerating.