28 April 2019

April Week 4

At this point, I think I have to admit that the quarterly objectives systems was insufficiently valuable, seeing as we're already a month into Q2 and I haven't missed it any.

I have some thoughts about why that was the case, but I haven't taken the time yet to organize them to the point that they're ready for public consumption. That said, I have organized them, and taken away some lessons for future planning projects.

I haven't decided what, if anything, will replace this. Frankly, the weekly reviews seemed almost entirely divorced from my actual goals, so I don't see any particular reason to discontinue my Sunday night posts. They provide a useful catalyst for introspection and near-mode planning. The issue is that they don't do that much to turn far-mode plans into near-mode plans.

I'll think about the implications of this problem further in the coming days. My day-over-day is solidifying into a more regular routine, with fewer surprises and lower variance. Worrying about the weekly plan(s) means a lot less in that context. Systems and habits matter more. I wanted to steal Malcolm Ocean's habit-a-week idea, and tried to implemented it back in 2016, but failed poorly. Maybe it's a good time to implement something in that vein.

We'll see.