05 May 2019

Routines

My routine is less weekly and more daily, which I think is part of why the weekly reviews are losing interest to me. In the academic environment, weekly cycles mattered a lot, and I sort of rolled that over after coming home. Part of that, though, was that a lot of the house stuff required Dad's presence, which could only be guaranteed on Saturdays and Sunday afternoons.

There's still weekly components, especially on the weekends, but I'm operating a good deal more autonomously at this point, at least with regard to how I structure my overall time. I'm not going to the house to paint or whatever; I'm going to the library to read engineering books in the afternoons. I've noticed some of the same anti-productive dynamics at play there; I want to try shaking things up, but ultimately I am the one directing my action there and I have the capacity to change things should I so desire.

(I think I am going to experiment with that, in fact—not tomorrow, because I have plans that involve other people but an insufficiently specified time. Tuesday I have evening plans, though, so it would honestly be idea to try going to the library in the morning and coming back mid-afternoon to see where I'm at cognitively. I thought that would be a good strategy at one point back when I was working on the house, but in practice I turned out to be pretty tired when I got home and rarely accomplished what I wanted in the evenings. Whether the same applies here is an important question to answer.)

Introspection is still valuable, of course, and Sunday nights are still a good Schelling Point for introspecting. I'm just not sure it's the more insightful point to be doing so.