23 May 2019

I might stop doing Links

I'm definitely not doing them this month. May is almost over and I haven't saved any interesting articles to share. And I'm not in a hurry to go digging up links just to make the post.

This is directly a product of my hard-fought battle of wasting less time on social media—a battle I think I'm winning, this being but one more piece of evidence. But that itself is due to a strong philosophical opinion against news and for passivism. Several of the commentators whose opinions I value keep reiterating points about the value of focusing one's attention and fighting the distractions of our information-overloaded culture (see, for example, CGP Grey and Meredith Patterson for different perspectives on this problem). Honestly, I'm not convinced that they go far enough. It's not just about a difficulty focusing, but about the selfish valuation of your own time and effort.

On that note, my pace of reading books has been really go, and I'm not experiencing an overwhelming distractedness or anything like some people describe. If anything, it's the reverse; I read The Stand in eleven days, basically dropping everything once the plot started to pick up around page 250. To some extent that's because Stephen King is an engaging writer, but it also indicates a certain ability to engage with longform narratives still survives.

Returning to the main point, I'm just not all that enthusiastic about compiling a list of links just for the sake of compiling it. I don't even enjoy doing it, and consider how many stories have proven mistaken, illusory, or simply non-consequential. Why should I bother writing summaries for all of them? What purpose does it serve? Some stories are worthwhile, yes, but honestly the ones that excite me for whatever reason are probably worth discussing in greater detail.

That's why I'm probably giving up on link posts. This is hardly a hard commitment, but I would be somewhat surprised if I decide to resume link posting when I could be, I don't know, reading spacecraft engineering books.