19 May 2019

Mid-May

I didn't do all that much this week because I was consumed reading The Stand for most of it. No joke, I read almost nine hundred pages between Sunday evening and the wee hours of Friday morning. I can clearly see why Stephen King is such a successful (as in, highly selling) author. Simultaneously, I have no strong desire to read any more of his work.

This, quite predictably, has thrown off a lot of my internal schedules and whatnot, so the goal for this week is to get that under control, and quickly at that. There's a number of things I want to do, like finish cleaning the fridge, get a haircut, push out a book review, work on job applications, and so on.

One positive: getting back to the YMCA after all these years. I'm mostly focusing on treadmill-type exercises because my daily distance walked must have crashed after graduation. This is a good opportunity to read in a significantly less sedentary manner, and appears to be a promising place to integrate library books into my reading profile. My mom is trying to get there two or three times a week, and I will endeavor to go along most of the time.

I might start swimming again if I can deduce the combination to my old lock, but until that occurs or I shell out for a new one, I'll go for something less capital-intensive.

Oh, also: the weather finally let up so the local campus observatory was open to the public. It was their ADA night, as well, so there were on top of the parking garage instead of a building roof; consequently, more telescopes. I got to see Mars, Jupiter, and Luna through some pretty big scopes, plus a couple of stars. The International Space Station did a pass near the moon early in the evening. This Friday probably won't be as exciting, provide the clouds decide to cooperate again.