27 November 2016

Post Thanksgiving Review

I'm back at school after a rather unproductive Thanksgiving break. I studied a little bit this afternoon, but that's pretty much it. Five whole days down the sink of history.

This was far from unpredictable--as usually my optimism about a visit home was unwarranted. If left to our own devices, I'll just be getting into gear for academics when Mom or Dad will interrupt with some task or distraction. On a good day, they'll leave me be at eight or nine pm, but by then my motivation is mostly exhausted.

I'm thinking the optimal solution would be moving back my sleep schedule so that I wake up earlier, go to bed when I'm released in the evening, and study before either of them can concoct tasks to use up my time. I'll try this out fully over winter break in preparation for my eight am electrical engineering lecture. For various, interrelated reasons this shift seems less drastic than it would have a few months ago. Slowly becoming a boring, lonely adult has a few advantages.

This coming week will mostly focus on the upcoming aerodynamics exam and structures group project. Wednesday will also be the first Jayhawk Rocket Design meeting in about a month, since we finally have funding and thus can resume work on our hybrid engine. Or so I assume. There's not much time before the semester ends, but I assume we're sticking with the plan I was told.

Personally, I'm open to contributing a bit over winter break. My travel plans are no more and finding an excuse to spend less time with my parents is probably a good thing. And I do worry about losing my edge during such a long break. Hell, I'm worried about my ability to focus tomorrow. A month is probably too long, but when you haven't had a term off since 2013, you'll take it.