18 November 2016

Weekly Review

I didn't write anything last night because I was tired. After the flight dynamics even doing pretty straightforward homework was beyond my motivation. But today I feel a little better so let's at least make an attempt at this.

The most obvious thing is continued academic struggles. That might be abating--I understood everything on the structures exam, or know that I could understand it--but homework and projects are still a challenge. A good deal of that is organization. My mind processes and arranges information in what appears to be an unusual fashion, judging by the fact that I'm so frequently frustrated or outright baffled by the way other people put things. On a bad day it feels like I'm speaking an entirely different language. Perhaps it's possible to translate, but informational biliguality is still a good way out.

Going back to the subject of information I could understand, I need to teach myself differential equations again. They're showing up in both structures and aerodynamics quite suddenly, and though I might be able to get by anyway, it would be nice to review them. After the last aerodynamics test, where I lost unnecessary points because I couldn't remember how to perform basic derivatives and integration, I finally logged in to Khan Academy again and have been using it daily since then. My plan was to review calculus all the way through, but because I'm usually watching only a few videos per day I'm still in limits. Over break I may jump ahead to diff eq, or perhaps flip through my text books again.

On a more prosaic note, winter weather has arrived. I'm naturally less that thrilled, but have amassed a reasonable quantity of warm clothes so hopefully hypothermia can be avoided. The gas bill is gonna be nasty when it comes.