10 March 2019

Q1 Progress Report: March Week 2

Not really a great deal to talk about this week, because I've been mostly focused on preparing for the GRE. I've also put some time into a few job applications and maintained my usual study routine, though both of those may slip in this final week. I'll probably have a lot more unstructured time to work within after finishing that last step on my grad school application package.

Daylight savings really messed with me today, though, so I didn't get too much done. I'm hoping to avoid too much disruption in the coming week, because I really would like to put in the effort. It's oddly nice having an external academic project to put effort into; I guess college really has reshaped the motivation pathways of my brain. In either case, grad school or engineering employment sounds like a nice alternative to feeling undirected.

Of course, if I have a bit more time on my hands, I can certainly come up with directions on my own. I've just been preoccupied with the application schedule since we sold the old house. Time-blocking has definitely helped with my productivity in the last fortnight, however, which is raising my confidence to undertake larger self-guided projects. Oddly enough, my time visiting relatives in Texas totally obliterated my procrastination habits, at least for a little while. I'm slipping back, but seeing my own desire to slack off disappear like that was hugely reassuring.

Now I just have to figure out how to replicate that on a smaller carbon footprint.